The Vatican continues to march ahead with the canonization of Junipero Serra, marginalize the brutal history of the man’s actions, and dismiss the sharp criticism from Native American Indians. With impending sainthood on the horizon, the Vatican simply shrugs off any criticism of Father Serra as: “he was a man of his time.” To accompany its acknowledgement of Serra’s use of “corporeal punishment” on the Indians of California as an “educational tool” of evangelism, the Vatican has said that Serra was “a man of his time.” What the Vatican has not acknowledged is notable: The context of the “time” that Serra was “a man of” was a context expressed in numerous papal edicts of the fifteenth century issued by popes who were men of their time. That context is found in the Holy See’s directive to Portuguese Catholic monarchs to “invade, capture, vanquish, and subdue, all Saracens, pagans, and other enemies of Christ,” “reduce their persons to perpetual slavery,” and “take away all their possessions and property.” (Dum diversas, 1452; Romanus Pontifex 1455). It would seem that, in the Vatican’s view, someone who did a great job carrying out the papacy’s divine directive to achieve those ends by propagating the Christian empire through imperial evangelism deserves to be sainted. ...Read More
Month: April 2015
Apr 26, 2015 | pam ragland
With the news of the devastating 7.8 earthquake in Nepal, Pam Ragland offers her sage advice to her followers… to think warm energy and prayers… because that’s what the Nepalese people need right now! Does Ragland ask her followers to donate to a global relief fund? Nope. Does she ask for volunteers to help out at a donations drive for emergency supplies? Nuh-uh. I am sure Pam Ragland must be up to some super compassionate work that would enshrine her spirituality. A few hours later the following FB update was posted. Off to the OC Imaginology Fair to get ribbons for their chicken and rabbit?!? I’m sure many families in Nepal would love to give their show animals a good home right about now. Since Pam Ragland’s schedule was extremely busy this weekend, I decided to go ahead and make a donation, in her name, to the GlobalGiving – Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund! ...Read More
Facebook Page Feed
- From the FAQ, on the "first way"
- This coloring activity is aimed at JW kids and teaches them to give whatever money their parents give them to the JW organization(XP'd from r/exjw)
- NYT Opinion piece written by Sam and Paul Bloom
- Waffle House shooter has trump hat. Backpedal NOW!
- How academically sound is John Allegro’s book The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross?
- "Daddy, do you believe in god," or how my believing wife had my back when I needed it.
- GQ magazine puts Bible on list of 20 classic books not worth reading
- Turns Out Hannity Has a Secret Real Estate Empire, With Ties to Trump Admin
- ‘The Mail on Sunday’ admits publishing more fake news about climate change
- Camus, Suicide, and Imagining Sisyphus Happy