As the holiday season approaches, the leaves begin to change, the mythical war of Christmas is on the horizon, and Faux News trots out Ben Stein yet again for even more nonsensical musings.
In part of this ‘interview’, Stein slurs his way through with the following:
“This president is the most racist president there has ever been in America. He is purposefully trying to use race to divide Americans. Anyone who investigates it even a little bit knows it’s hogwash.”
Stein does not give any real examples that would lead to his amusing revelation other than “Democrats BAD!” and “Republicans GOOD!”. He even goes on to claim that the Republicans saved the economy. Erm, wat?
Here is a very brief look at some American Presidents:
From The Hauenstein Center at Grand Valley State University: [link]
- GEORGE WASHINGTON (between 250-350 slaves)
- THOMAS JEFFERSON (about 200)
- JAMES MADISON (more than 100)
- JAMES MONROE (about 75)
- ANDREW JACKSON (fewer than 200)
- Martin Van Buren (one)
- William Henry Harrison (eleven)
- JOHN TYLER (about 70)
- JAMES POLK (about 25)
- ZACHARY TAYLOR (fewer than 150)
- Andrew Johnson (probably eight)
- Ulysses S. Grant (probably five)
Andrew Jackson – Oversaw the Trail of Tears, also known as the Native American Genocide by passing the Indian Removal Act of 1830.
Notable U.S. political figures that were alleged to have been members of the Ku Klux Klan. [source]
- President Harry Truman
- Senator Robert Byrd
- Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Hugo Black
- Senator Rice Means
- Alabama Governor Bibb Graves
- Indiana Governor Edward Jackson
- Georgia Governor Clifford Walker
- Congressman George Gordon
- Mayor of Los Angeles John Porter
- President Warren Harding
- David Duke (ran for president in 1988)
Ben Stein may be a lawyer and economist, but he obviously knows jack shit about American history.