The Supreme Court of the United States has finally given their decisions on the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and the 2008 California’s Prop 8. In a 5-4 decision ruled a key part of DOMA is unconstitutional, which denied federal benefits to same-sex married couples. The justices avoided deciding the consitutionality of Proposition 8 and found that supporters of the law did not have legal standing to appeal a federal district court ruling that had previously struck down the law. Justice Antonin Scalia whines and plays the victim card that it is unfair that his opposition to gay marriage is no longer considered legitimate. In his dissent, Scalia continues to rail against ‘homosexual sodomy’ and then moves on to make a connection to polygamy. “…the Constitution neither requires nor forbids our society to approve of same-sex marriage, much as it neither requires nor forbids us to approve of no-fault divorce, polygamy, or the consumption of alcohol.” Whatever. Antonin Scalia’s words are just another reason why Supreme Court Justices should NOT be in their positions for life. The Supreme Court also declined (without comment) to take up two more cases on marriage equality. Nevada’s ban on same sex marriage and an Arizona law that denies state benefits to “domestic partners”. This means that an appeals court ruling striking down the Arizona law stays in effect, while litigation over the Nevada...Read More
Month: June 2013
Jun 16, 2013 | atheism
“That awkward moment when the primitive tribe that you have come to convert to Christianity, instead converts you to atheism.” . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3q6Cid1po&feature=player_embedded Full article over at The Immoral Minority. [ via reddit...Read More
Facebook Page Feed
- Solid Stepping Stones Nov 19 "One-A-Day Gos-pill Day"
- Debunk This: It's too unlikely for life to arise naturally to assume naturalism as opposed to creationism
- Flake on hot mic: GOP 'toast' if we become the party of Trump, Moore
- New rule: This is not a sub for posting complaints about other subs.
- Atheism and Dogma
- It's so great to not have to go to church anymore
- The Prep School Tax Break, [According to] Republican policymakers .. a big point of the exercise is to help the middle class. So how best to explain a possible tax break of more than $30,000 per child for wealthy families who send their kids to private school?
- Arcon: "nice when celebrities stay apolitical. Don't care R or D, politics being forced into every aspect of life gets old." Also arcon: Literally elected a hollywood celebrity, worships any celebrity they agree with
- Against Conspiracy Theories - Forget JFK plots and 9/11 "truth." What elites do out in the open gives us enough to be outraged about.
- Apple's diversity chief out after outcry