The Supreme Court of the United States has finally given their decisions on the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and the 2008 California’s Prop 8. In a 5-4 decision ruled a key part of DOMA is unconstitutional, which denied federal benefits to same-sex married couples. The justices avoided deciding the consitutionality of Proposition 8 and found that supporters of the law did not have legal standing to appeal a federal district court ruling that had previously struck down the law. Justice Antonin Scalia whines and plays the victim card that it is unfair that his opposition to gay marriage is no longer considered legitimate. In his dissent, Scalia continues to rail against ‘homosexual sodomy’ and then moves on to make a connection to polygamy. “…the Constitution neither requires nor forbids our society to approve of same-sex marriage, much as it neither requires nor forbids us to approve of no-fault divorce, polygamy, or the consumption of alcohol.” Whatever. Antonin Scalia’s words are just another reason why Supreme Court Justices should NOT be in their positions for life. The Supreme Court also declined (without comment) to take up two more cases on marriage equality. Nevada’s ban on same sex marriage and an Arizona law that denies state benefits to “domestic partners”. This means that an appeals court ruling striking down the Arizona law stays in effect, while litigation over the Nevada...Read More
Month: June 2013
Jun 16, 2013 | atheism
“That awkward moment when the primitive tribe that you have come to convert to Christianity, instead converts you to atheism.” . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr3q6Cid1po&feature=player_embedded Full article over at The Immoral Minority. [ via reddit...Read More
Facebook Page Feed
- From the FAQ, on the "first way"
- This coloring activity is aimed at JW kids and teaches them to give whatever money their parents give them to the JW organization(XP'd from r/exjw)
- NYT Opinion piece written by Sam and Paul Bloom
- Waffle House shooter has trump hat. Backpedal NOW!
- How academically sound is John Allegro’s book The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross?
- "Daddy, do you believe in god," or how my believing wife had my back when I needed it.
- GQ magazine puts Bible on list of 20 classic books not worth reading
- Turns Out Hannity Has a Secret Real Estate Empire, With Ties to Trump Admin
- ‘The Mail on Sunday’ admits publishing more fake news about climate change
- Camus, Suicide, and Imagining Sisyphus Happy